Header Graphic
Don't Get Caught Members > WOOR: NSW Government Backflips On Speed Cam Signs
WOOR: NSW Government Backflips On Speed Cam Signs

Aug 3, 2021

NSW Government Backflips On Controversial Decision To Remove Mobile Speed Camera Signs

----------------------------------------------------------------------
The NSW Government has overturned its controversial and lucrative decision to remove warning signs from mobile speed cameras.

Nine months ago, it was announced that the signs would disappear.

And since then more than $21 million in revenue has been collected.

Today, after a review by the Joint Standing Committee on Road Safety, NSW Transport Minister Andrew Constance said more than 1000 new signs will be erected.

"We're going to have 1000 static signs, 350 variable signs around the state to remind people of their obligations," Mr Constance told 9News.

These will appear from mid-August to warn drivers in suburbs where mobile speed cameras operate.

NSW Opposition Leader Chris Minns has been calling for the warning signs to be reinstated, arguing the scheme was raising money but not saving lives.

"They've announced a thousand new signs, but revenue has already gone up a thousand times," the Labor leader said today.

In June 2020, 2300 drivers were caught by mobile speed cameras with fines totalling $453,000.

In June 2021, 22,000 fines were issued to the sum of $5 million.

Today Mr Constance said the mobile speed camera scheme had saved 56 lives - when compared to the average from the last three financial years.

But this year 172 have died on NSW roads, three more than the same time last year.

There are also drastically less people on the road each day due to the lockdown and ongoing pandemic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: https://www.9news.com.au/national/mobile-speed-camera-signs-nsw-being-reinstalled-government-backflip/4b14b015-5672-4b06-9f8b-ffcbdbb62939?

© Copyright DGC 2021
ABN:  87 528 875 816